- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- About 55 oz. tomatoes, crushed and diced plus two cups water to rinse cans/jars
- Four 15 oz. cans of beans: black, kidney, pinto, and/or great northern (white)
- 2 poblano (a.k.a. ancho) peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Salt to taste
- Optional garnishes: sour cashew cream, avocado, raw diced red onion, cilantro
First put the garlic, jalapeno, onion, carrots, and spices into a stock pot with the vegetable broth. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
Add the bulgur, tomatoes, and beans. Use water to rinse cans/jars, add to pot. Stir and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Add peppers, salt to taste, and simmer for a final ten minutes. Garnish as desired, and serve.
Sour Cashew Cream
- 1 cup smooth cashew cream (see instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
To make smooth cashew cream: Put cashews in a bowl covered with water and soak overnight. If you’re in a pinch, boil water and soak cashews for one hour. Drain cashews and place in blender. Cover with fresh, filtered water; the water should rise one inch above the soaked cashews. Thoroughly blend in blender.
Blend smooth cashew cream with all other ingredients in your blender, or in a bowl with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to use.